Tuesday, December 13, 2011

9 week report card

I made 9 weeks on Monday, and all I have to say is, "watch out world, here I come...!!". I know my last update was not so great, but I have really taken a turn for the better! I just needed a break from life (and from breathing) for a few days, but I am back and ready to conquer the world!

I have been calling the shots these days...Friday night I started fighting that tube down my throat so the nurses gave in and took me off the ventilator Saturday morning. They started me at 4L on the Vapotherm and weaned me all the way to the high flow cannula (1L of O2 per minute) late Sunday night. Even better, I have been doing so good that they switched me to the low flow cannula (0.1 of O2 per minute) yesterday! This is the very lowest form of respiratory support available. The doctors were pretty impressed with me!

It gets better...I took my WHOLE bottle yesterday! Mom and Dad never knew they would be so excited about their son drinking 1.5 oz of milk...if that's all i have to do to make them proud, i am set for life! That was the first time I tried the bottle since my surgery, but I did really well. My nurse kept trying to slow me down because I just couldn't get enough. If they would have told me how good that stuff is, I would have behaved a LONG time ago!! I did so well that they gave me another bottle last night and now i have graduated to getting 3 bottles a day, yipee!

I am still taking meds for reflux and I am also getting some steroids to give my lungs a little boost.

Tonight I weighed in at 6 pounds 2ounces!!

So my report card since last week says I have all A's! BUT, just because I am being good does not mean that I will be home in time for Christmas. There is nothing that I want more than to be home with my family, but I still have a long way to go. I still have to be able to take a bottle at every feeding, and in case you didn't know, that's hard work! I also have to pass a car seat test and of course, they would like me to be off of the oxygen completely. If I get close to going home and have a breathing episode, that sets me back 5 days...good thing for insurance =). I will do my best to remember to breathe!

I overheard Doc telling Mom that the next big milestone will be Sunday night - a room air trial. Evidently they will take away the little bit of oxygen I am getting and see how I do. I'll do my best to perform well for everyone. If I am doing well without the oxygen, they will leave me off of it, and that will be all she wrote!! That will be my present to Mom and Dad since I can't really get over to the gift shop.

So glad I could give all of you some good news for a change...I am definitely growing up!!

Night!
Beau



Dad is finally getting comfortable holding me!  I promise I wasn't really blue...guess I wasn't too photogenic that day.

Snuggling with Mommy...excuse my Jamaican blanket; not sure where it came from.

Num num num!

The Occupational Therapist said I was too anxious.  Duh, like I said, num num num!!!

I may be little but I sure can burp!

Mom is super funny sometimes! 

Loving my mobile.


Let me introduce you to my friend, G.  He keeps me company when Mom and Dad aren't here =)


No comments:

Post a Comment