Friday, December 2, 2011

Moving on up!

I know you all will be glad to hear that I am having a much better week than last! 

I have officially been weaned from the Vapotherm and have been on the high flow nasal cannula since Wednesday!  Yay!  I heard the nurses saying they didn't want to speak of it too loud - just because I am small doesn't mean I am deaf, dumb, or stupid...of course I noticed they took away my vapotherm...I am doing my best to behave though =).

I had a couple bad episodes earlier in the week (while still on the vapotherm) so Doc is trying a few different things to see what helps:
The respiratory therapist came in for a few days to give me breathing treatments in case I was having bronchial spasms, which could cause my episodes to be more severe.  I had an upper GI (gastrointestinal)exam earlier in the week which showed that I am having slight reflux with my feedings.  As a result, we are trying a week on Prevacid.  I actually spit up a good bit for Mom today - definitely won't be the last time so she should go ahead and box up all of her nice clothes for a while.  Doc also prescribed a diuretic to help get rid of some of the excess fluid around my lungs, and let me tell ya, that stuff works!  I even lost a few ounces.  Don't be jealous, ladies, I will try to sneak some in my bag when the nurses aren't looking!

Big news - I took my first stab at a bottle today!  It was, well, not so graceful, but I gave it my best shot.  I took 8cc (ml) and then started breathing very fast, so the occupational therapist let me rest.  If I breathe too hard or fast while drinking my milk, I will aspirate and I hear that is no fun.  To help you compare - 30 cc = 1 ounce.  I am eating 45 cc every three hours.  Gotta start somewhere!

This week I actually got up to 5 lbs 13 oz, but then lost once they started giving me the diuretic.  So, as of tonight, I weigh 5 lbs 9 oz!  I am getting up there.

That is about it for now.  Things are good and I will do my best to keep it that way.  Overall, I have been very alert and everyone says I am looking really good...duh!  I hear Christmas is coming up...Mom put my tree up, got my NICU room all set, and Dad put together my mobile today!  I have the coolest room in this place, hands down!

I hope everyone is doing well.  I will be cheering on the Tigers tomorrow!  I know you all want to see pictures, so enjoy!


My first big boy crib a few weeks back...

 Now this is what I call a big boy crib!

My room!

Exhausted from a rough week!

But now I am resting comfortably without the IV!

I am really starting to like this whole noony thing!  Now, if I could just keep it in my mouth...

YAY for Christmas!!!
Yep, that's me!
Mom trying to be inspirational
 My big bro is watching over me!
 The ornament Cathy (my nurse) helped me with...arts and crafts are a great way to pass the time in here!

No pictures please!!

Just hanging out with my monkey.

I try to be alert for Mom's photo sessions...


No comments:

Post a Comment